May Fishing Sessions: 05/01 - Fishing at the Fairmount Dam and the Schuylkill Banks (Philadelphia, PA)

Hello, Blog Readers!

As always, I'm late on my fishing reports. Heh. Life has been super busy! Even so, I should be done with the "May Fishing Sessions" within a week or so. Thus, keep an eye open for the Blog! :)

Here is a list of other recent updates:

-- Meanwhile, I have been uploading videos on YouTube on a weekly basis. Here are my newest videos there:


-- The 6th Catfish Tourney on the Banks is scheduled for this next Sunday (the 31st). The good news is that I already have 15 participants/teams; and therefore, this event is definitely happening! The bad news is that there will be a lot of rain this week, including Sunday. So far, the weather for Sunday between 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. seems fair. However, competitors -- keep an eye open for any updates! I'll send an e-mail out to all competitors one day prior to the competition: either with a gentle reminder of the date of the event or with news of event delay due to weather conditions.

And, of course, I am still accepting new competitors for this event. If you are interested in participating, make sure to read the rules and regulations in the hyperlink above! For registration, send an e-mail to sheng12182527@gmail.com for the registration form.

-- The Facebook Public Album has been on fire recently! I've been receiving lots of photos and I promise everyone that I will update them when I can! Once again -- I would like to thank the folks who contributed their fishing photos to the album! Thanks, thanks, thanks! And, if you are interested in submitting photos, you may click here for more details.

Now, here's my fishing report for May 1st:

--- May 1st, 2015 ---

Location: Schuylkill River (Philadelphia, PA)
Time: 2:00-7:00 p.m.; 8:00-10:00 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- None

Video:

Since there were no fishes caught for this session, there is no video for it. :(

Goal: 

The goal for the day was to hit the Fairmount Dam for American/Hickory Shad (Alosa sapidissima/Alosa mediocris) and Striped Bass (Morone saxatilis). Since my friend Marc "The Shark" called me to join him for some night time fishing, I switched my goal later in the day for Channel Catfish (Ictalurus punctatus).

Setup:

I used only one rod for this fishing session: my Cortland Endurance 9' noodle rod with a Shimano Symetre 4000FL and 12lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. The following lures were used at the Fairmount Dam: (1) Shad darts; (2) Rat-L-Trap Rattletrap; (3) Zoom Fluke on a 3/8 oz. Jighead; and a Thomas Fishing Lures E.P. Series in-line Spinner, 1/8 oz., Nickel/Gold. The following setup was used for Channel Catfish at night time: a high-low rig with two three-way swivels, size #4 eagle claw hooks, and a 2 oz. river sinker all the way down.

Summary:

Since its known that the Shad fishing in Philadelphia picks up around the end of April and beginning of May, I decided to give it one more time around the Fairmount Dam! I arrived on the west side of the tidal Schuylkill River around 2 p.m.. There were a couple other anglers fishing for American/Hickory Shad; however, no catches were observed. I attempted a different selection of lures -- first for the Shad, and then for the Striped Bass. Unfortunately, I finished the day there without any luck!

After five hours of fishing without seeing a single fish, I decided to let go of the frustration by exploring the west side drive of the Schuylkill Trail, up to the Girard Avenue Bridge. I found some very interesting spots for Flathead Catfish!   

Then, around 8 p.m. or so, I decided to join my friend Marc "The Shark" for some Catfishing around the Market Street Bridge. A little bit later, our friend Bryan KL joined us as well. We fished for about two hours or so, finishing our session without a single fish!

Overall, a very tiring day! Heh.

Photos:

A very nice view of the Fairmount Dam from the West side of the tidal Schuylkill River. The Boathouse Row is at the back.

Look what we have here...The Right Anglers' sticker.

A nice and shallow sandy flat on the West side of the Schuylkill River. Perfect spot for Common Carp! 

"Things that you don't see when you stay at home:" A dead bird. That's right -- one more organism to my "dead" collection. One of these days I'll be doing a full post on all the dead things that I've ever seen during my fishing sessions in and around Philadelphia. You would be surprised...

My buddy Marc "The Shark" fishing for Channel Catfish around the Market Street bridge. Notice his "Jedi" Rod on the left (the glowing stick). Heh 

More reports will be coming soon. :)

Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment