May Fishing Sessions: 05/30 - Exploring and Fishing the Schuylkill Canal (Mont Clare, PA)

Hello, Blog Readers!

Today I'm bringing you folks my fishing session for May 30th:

--- May 30th, 2015 ---

Location: Schuylkill Canal (Mont Clare, PA)
Time: 1:00-5:30 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- 4 Green Sunfish (Lepomis cyanellus)
-- 1 Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides)
-- 2 Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)
-- 2 Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu)

Video:

Below are the highlights for this fishing session:

The video is divided in three parts: (1) Introduction (0:00-2:35); (2) Setup (2:35-6:05); and (3) Fishing (6:05-end). Towards the end of the video, there is a nice view of the fishing area around Black Rock Dam, as well as Lock 60. Don't forget to watch it in HD quality (1080p50)! If you enjoy watching my videos, please support my YouTube Channel by liking and subscribing. :)

Goal:

The goal for the day was to explore the Schuylkill Canal and the Schuylkill River in Mont Clare. That included exploring the area around Lock 60 and the area around the Black Rock Dam. Additionally, the goal was to catch as many different Species of fish as possible, since I had never fished there before.

Setup:

My setup for this fishing session consisted of a Cortland Endurance 9' noodle rod with a Shimano Symetre 4000FL and 12lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. Throughout the course of the day, I used the following types of baits/lures: (1) a Gary Yamamoto Senko wacky-rigged on a 5/0 Gamakatsu hook; (2) a 1" Gulp! Alive Minnow hooked on a 1/64 oz. Trout Magnet jighead, and (3) a Thomas Lures E.P. Series in-line spinner, 1/8 oz., Nickel/Gold colored.

Summary:

Going to the Schuylkill Canal by public transportation was one of the longest trips that I did this year! As mentioned in the video, it took me nearly 2:30 hours to get there. First, I had to take the Septa Market-Frankford line from the Frankford Transportation Center to the 69th Street Terminal. Then, I had to take the Norristown High speed line to its last stop. Finally, I had to take the bus 99 to Phoenixville. Folks...that was quite a ride! 

I arrived on the Canal around one in the afternoon. I walked upstream from Bridge Street all the way to the Lock 60. In between, I stepped over to the Schuylkill River a couple times, finishing there with a couple miniature Smallmouth Bass.

Overall, the canal is a beautiful place to fish at! Note, however, that it's not a great idea to still-fish at the canal. After all, there are plenty of kayaks and canoes passing by from time to time. One thing that I found extremely interesting about the canal was the fact that the paved trail is shared between individuals and cars! That was actually the first time that I witnessed something like that. 

Anyways...I ended up catching a Bluegill, a small Largemouth Bass, and a couple Green Sunfish from the Canal. That was pretty much it! I wish I had more time to explore the place, but my time constraints were weighting heavily on me. Thus, I had to leave! 

Maybe I will do another trip up there one of these days. :)

Photos:

Below are the photos for this fishing session:

An authentic Bluegill from the Schuylkill Canal. I've caught them in the Schuylkill Canal, Manayunk Canal, Delaware Canal, Delaware & Raritan Canal, etc. Thus, they are pretty abundant in every Canal in and around Philadelphia. Heh.

A nice view of the Schuylkill Canal. As I have mentioned above, the paved trail on the Schuylkill Canal is shared between individuals and cars! That's because there is a parking lot at the end of the Canal trail -- right at Lock 60.

Another scenic view of the Schuylkill Canal. Folks -- it's a beautiful place for a family outing: picnic areas; kayaking/boating; fishing; etc. 

A small Green Sunfish from the Schuylkill Canal. It was caught on a small Gulp! Alive Minnow. 

Another beautiful Green Sunfish with spawning colors. 

A nice view of the Schuylkill River with the Black Rock Dam on the background. If you look carefully, there is a guy fishing in the middle of the River.

A nice view of the dam between the Schuylkill Canal and the Schuylkill River. Unfortunately, there were no game fish under that dry dam.

Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment