May Fishing Sessions: 05/16 - Fishing the Schuylkill River for Bass (East Falls, PA)

Hello, Blog Readers! 

Here is my fishing session for May 16th:

--- May 16th, 2015 ---

Location: Schuylkill River (From East Falls to Philadelphia)
Time: 1:00-8:30 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- None

Video:

Since there were no fishes caught for this session, there is no video for it. However, my good friend Ronald "Shogun" from the Grand Master crew actually caught a nice Flathead Catfish (Pylodictis olivaris) around sunset. Therefore, I've compiled his video into one of my Flathead fishing videos:

Ronald "Shogun Assassin!" reels in a nice Flathead Catfish starting at 23:55. Don't forget to watch it in HD quality (1080p50)! If you like watching my videos, don't forget to support the YouTube Channel by liking and subscribing to it. :) 

Goal:

I went to the Schuylkill River in East Falls in hopes of catching some Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu) and/or Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides). The plan was to fish and walk from East Falls to the Art Museum in Philadelphia.

Setup:

I used a single fishing rod for this fishing session: my 9' Cortland Endurance noodle rod with a Shimany Symetre 4000FL and 12lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. For lures, I used the Gary Yamamoto 5" Senko on a 5/0 Gamakatsu hook.

Summary:

I started my day by taking the Septa R bus all the way to the Wissahickon Transfer Center, right above East Falls. I fished the Schuylkill River under the Wissahickon Falls, the mouth of the Wissahickon Creek, and eventually the bridges at East Falls -- all without success! I had a few bites on the wacky-rigged Senko right under the falls; however, no hook-ups.

As I walked down East Falls, I suddenly realized that the rowing regatta was on! In other words, my plans of fishing Columbia Bridge for Bass were utterly destroyed. The Columbia Bridge on Kelly Drive is a place with deeper water; therefore, I usually catch at least one Smallmouth/Largemouth Bass over there. 

Without many options, I walked all my way from the bridges at East Falls to the Girard Avenue Bridge, where I actually met with the Grand Master Crew. They were fishing the non-tidal River for Flathead Catfish. In the end, I chilled with them for a little bit and even witnessed my good friend Ronald "Shogun" land a Flathead.  

Photos:

Below are the photos for this fishing session:

The rowing crew on the non-tidal Schuylkill River. Certain folks tend to believe that the Schuylkill River is still so polluted that no activities can be performed on it. Well...this photo says otherwise! As a matter of fact, the "Hidden River" has been at its best condition since a century ago or so. In other words, governmental agencies are doing a great job in cleaning and maintaining the River.

The Grand Master "Fish-Shoremen" "Philly" Crew. I am not exactly sure how that name came by, but it is what it is! And folks -- they are an awesome crew of urban anglers in Philadelphia, Therefore, please give them your support by liking their page on Facebook.

My good friend Ronald "Shogun" with his 8lbs Flathead Catfish. The fish was caught on a cut Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus).

Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment