May Fishing Sessions: 05/15 - Exploring and Fishing the Newton Lake (Collingswood, NJ)

Hello, Blog Readers! 

Here is my fishing report for May 15th:

--- May 15th, 2015 ---

Location: Newton Lake (more towards Camden, NJ)
Time: 2:30-3:00 p.m.

Fishes caught: 

-- None

Video:

There were really no highlights for this short fishing trip; however, I did see something phenomenal happen at the time. Thankfully, I was able to catch it on video. ;)

The video above portrays a Northern Snakehead (Channa argus) giving a 180º aerial jump. This video was posted for scientific purposes. Hah. I just wanted to show viewers that Northern Snakehead do jump! 

Goal:

The main objective of the day was to explore a new section of the Newton Lake in Collingswood/Camden, NJ, so I could catch some Northern Snakehead.

Setup:

I used a single fishing rod for this short fishing session: my 9' Cortland Endurance noodle rod with a Shimany Symetre 4000FL and 12lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. For lures, I used the Gary Yamamoto 5" Senko or a Zoom Fluke on a 5/0 Gamakatsu hook

Summary:

This was probably my shortest fishing session of the year so far: a measly thirty minutes of fishing! After taking the PATCO speed line to Ferry Avenue station and walking thirty minutes to the fishing spot that I wanted to explore, my sister called me requesting aid.

Thus, I only had thirty minutes to quickly look around and give a couple casts! I saw a few Northern Snakehead hunting for food just below the surface of the water; however, I wasn't able to entice them to bite. I did miss one bite on the Zoom Fluke; however, that was a Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides).

I will be going back to this spot in July, once the Snakehead are done with their spawning.

Photos:

Photos of this fishing session are below:

A nice scenery view of the Newton Creek, which dumps into the Newton Lake. Snakehead heaven. :)

"Things that you don't see when you stay at home:" An Eastern Tent Caterpillar chilling on a branch.

Awesome little place on Newton Lake. The Northern Snakehead were right under the bridge.

A nice shot of Newton Lake: perfect place for kayak fishing. Folks, if you have a kayak and want to do some Largemouth Bass and Northern Snakehead fishing, Newton Lake is definitely your place to be! 

Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment