May Fishing Sessions: 05/12 - Exploring and Fishing the East Branch Brandywine Creek (Downingtown, PA)

Hello, Blog Readers! 

Today I'm bringing you my fishing session for May 12th (my birthday!):

--- May 12th, 2015 ---

Location: East Branch Brandywine Creek (Downingtown, PA)
Time: 2:00-7:30 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- 1 Spotfin Shiner (Cyprinella spiloptera)
-- 2 Redbreast Sunfish (Lepomis auritus)
-- 4 Rock Bass (Ambloplites rupestris)
-- 1 Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides)
-- 4 Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
-- 1 Brown Trout (Salmo trutta)
-- 1 Fallfish (Semotilus corporalis)
-- 1 Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)

Video:

Below are the highlights for this fishing session:

The video is about twenty-four minutes long. A brief introduction is given until 4:00. The rest of the video focuses on Multi-Species angling. Don't forget to watch it in HD quality (1080p50)! If you enjoy watching my videos, please support the YouTube Channel by liking and subscribing to it. :) 

Goal:

The main objective of the day was to explore the East Branch Brandywine Creek above Kerr Park. In other words; (1) find deep pools and Trout lies; and (2) catch as many different Species of fish as possible.

Setup:

I used a single fishing rod for this session: an ultra-light Daiwa Spinmatic fishing rod with a Shimano Sedona 500FD reel. For line, I used 4lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon. Throughout the course of the day, I used the following lures: a Thomas Fishing Lures E.P. Series in-line Spinner, 1/8 oz., nickel/gold; and a size #6 eagle claw hook with a piece of nightcrawler or canned kernel corn. At a certain point, I also used Berkley Power Bait for the Trout.

Summary: 

I started my day fishing just above Kerr Park, where I immediately saw two Golden Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss mutation) chilling in the water. That's where I caught my small Spotfin Shiner on the Thomas in-line spinner. As a matter of fact, that was my first ever Spotfin Shiner from the East Branch Brandywine Creek, which was pretty neat! 

Soon after, I started walking upstream, cautiously looking for deep pools and Trout lies. I found a small dam with a very promising pool above it. That's where I saw my third Golden Rainbow Trout of the day! Amazing, isn't it? Spotted Three Golden Rainbow Trout in one day! I tried the in-line spinner there without much success; although, I did miss a small Smallmouth Bass (Micropterus dolomieu) on a jump. Then, I shifted gears for a size #6 Eagleclaw hook and nightcrawlers. I ended up catching a nice Redbreast Sunfish on it; however, still no Trout! 

I walked all the way up to the north end of Kerr Park. And guess what, folks? Trout paradise! That's where I saw my fourth Golden Rainbow Trout of the day, not to mention the numerous Rainbow Trout hanging in the shallows. I immediately switched gears to kernel corn and Powerbait, finishing there with a few Rainbow Trout. Believe it or not, I also landed a Rock Bass on the corn. Unbelievable, isn't it? Rock Bass on the corn...

For the rest of the day, I pretty much walked back to the Downingtown Regional rail through Kerr Park. On my way back, I actually witnessed a fire:

The Downingtown fire on May 12th, 2015. Definitely something that you do not see when you stay at home! Thankfully, nobody got hurt in it.

On my way back, I missed a nice Largemouth Bass on the in-line spinner, but ended up landing another one. I caught a nice Fallfish by the regional rail bridge -- my first ever Fallfish from the East Branch Brandyine Creek. I scored a bonus Brown Trout on the in-line spinner, which was pretty neat. And, of course, I also ended up catching a couple more sunnies on the nightcrawler.

Photos:

My first ever Fallfish from the East Branch Brandywine Creek. Always glad to know that they are in there.

"Things that you don't see when you stay at home:" A family of ducks swimming in the Creek.

A greedy little Spotfin Shiner darted for my in-line spinner. Amazing, isn't it? On a side note, Spotfin Shiner are beautiful fish, specially when it's spawning season (the anal fin gets white).

Probably my biggest Redbreast Sunfish for the day. The fish was caught on a piece of nightcrawler.

The Downingtown fire. Horrible sign, but thankfully nobody got hurt in the end! A salve of applause for our firefighters. 

A chubby Rock Bass from the East Branch Brandywine Creek.

Gorgeous Largemouth Bass hit my spinner right under the walking bridge before Kerr Park. Note the colors on it: typical colors for clear water environment (low saturation).

On my way back to the Regional Rail Station, I scored a nice Brown Trout! The funny thing is that the spot where I caught it was exactly like didactic fishing books describe. I call it "a spot by the book." Heh

Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment