June Fishing Sessions: 06/11 - Exploring and Fishing the Little Mantua Creek (West Deptford, NJ)

Hello, Blog Readers! 

Here is my fishing report for June 11th:

--- June 11th, 2015 ---

Location: Little Mantua Creek (West Deptford, NJ)
Time: 7:00-11:00 a.m.

Fishes caught:

-- 7 Black Crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus)
-- 5 White Perch (Morone americana)
-- 2 Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)
-- 3 Mummichog  (Fundulus heteroclitus)

Video:

Below are the highlights for this fishing session:


The video above is divided mainly in three parts: (1) Introduction (0:00-2:10); (2) Fishing at Little Mantua Creek (2:11-14:40); and Fishing at Meadow Lake (14:41-19:20). Don't forget to watch it in HD quality (1080p50)! If you enjoy watching my videos, please support my YouTube Channel by liking and subscribing.

Goal:

The main goal for the day was to explore this very common fishing spot in West Deptford, NJ -- the Little Mantua Creek (at the railroads). In other words, my goal was to try to catch as many Species as possible from there.

Setup:

My setup for this fishing session consisted of a Cortland Endurance 9' noodle rod with a Shimano Symetre 4000FL and 12lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. Throughout the course of the day, I used the following types of baits/lures: (1) A Zoom Fluke, Texas rigged on a 5/0 Gamakatsu hook; (2) a Matzuo Zen Quinate top water swim bait; a (3) Thomas Fishing Lures E.P. Series in-line spinner, 1/8 oz., nickel/gold; (4) a 1/64 oz. Trout Magnet jighead with a 1" Gulp! Alive Minnow under a weighted float; and (5) a size #10 Eagle Claw hook with a piece of nightcrawler.

Summary:

My friend Peter S. and I arrived at the Little Mantua Creek around 7:00 a.m.. It was our first time in this well-known South New Jersey fishing spot; therefore, we carefully followed our friend Bryan's directions on how to get there. The place itself seemed to be sketchy; therefore, I wouldn't recommend anyone to go fishing alone in that particular place!

Over the years, I heard much about that spot: the place itself was well-known among the community for having an abundance of Northern Snakeheads (Channa argus), good Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides) and good Black Crappie. The whole place even went viral after some kids posted videos on YouTube of themselves killing the Northern Snakeheads in very cruel ways (i.e. tying them to the railroads and watching them getting crushed by the train).

But anyways...my friend and I fished the place for Northern Snakeheads for a good sixty minutes without any success. After that, I switched gears to Multi-Species with one of my favorite soft plastics -- the 1" Gulp! Alive Minnow. I ended up catching a bunch of White Perch, Black Crappie, and a few Bluegill on it. 

It was then that I located a small school of Mummichogs! I immediately switched gears to a small hook with a sliver of nightcrawler. I caught a couple of them and used them as bait under a float. They worked very well, landing me a couple extra Black Crappie and good sized White Perch.

Unfortunately, we finished the day with no Snakeheads nor Largemouth Bass! My friend Bryan KL arrived there around 10:30 a.m., just when Peter S. and I were leaving for Meadow Lake. My friend Bryan did catch some neat fishes down there, including a Yellow Perch on a Dardevle Spoon.

To finish the day, I took Peter S. to my Mulberry stop at Meadow Lake for some Carp action. Heh. He ended up catching a nice one over there.

Photos:

Below are the photos for this fishing session:

My biggest Black Crappie of the day: 12 inches on the dot. This one was caught on a 1" Gulp! Alive Minnow on a 1/64 oz. Trout Magnet jighead, under a weighted float.

One of the many White Perch of the day. This little fella actually inhaled a whole Mummichog! 

One of the many Mummichogs that I caught that day. Vicious little fish! Heh.

Peter's Mulberry Carp at Meadow Lake.

Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment