June Fishing Sessions: 06/03 - Fishing for White Catfish at the Cooper River (Camden, NJ)

Hello, Blog Readers! 

After a good while, I'm finally bringing you my June Fishing Sessions. As mentioned previously, I am doing my best to keep everything up to date; however, we have so little time for so many tasks, right? :)

Anyways...here is my fishing report for June 3rd:

--- June 3rd, 2015 ---

Location: Cooper River (Camden, NJ)
Time: 12:00-7:30 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- 1 Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides)
-- 3 White Catfish (Ameiurus catus)
-- 1 White Perch (Morone americana)

Video:

Below are the highlights for this fishing session:

The video is divided in three parts: (1) Introduction and Setup (0:00-2:00); (2) Fishing (2:00-9:00); and Extra Contents -- an explanation of the Physics behind the Cooper River Dam (9:05-End). Don't forget to watch it in HD quality (1080p50)! If you enjoy watching my videos, please support the YouTube Channel by liking and subscribing. :)

Additionally, here is another video of my "Things that you don't see when you stay at home" collection: a submerged house in the middle of the tidal Cooper River, Camden, NJ. :) 

Goal:

The initial goal for the day was to explore the Cooper River around Camden, specially the fishing spot around the Cooper River Dam. After hours of exploration and no fish, I decided to shift focus to Catfishing. :)

Setup:

My setup for this fishing session consisted of a Cortland Endurance 9' noodle rod with a Shimano Symetre 4000FL and 12lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon line. Throughout the course of the day, I used the following types of baits/lures: (1) a Thomas Fishing Lures E.P. Series in-line spinner, 1/8 oz., nickel/gold colored; (2) an Eagle Claw size #4 hook with split shots and nightcrawler; and (3) a Daiichi size #26 hook with a sliver of nightcrawler. 

Summary:

I got off the PATCO Ferry Avenue station around 11:40 a.m.. After a twenty minutes walk, I finally arrived at my destination: a stretch of the Cooper River that I had never fished before! I started my fishing with an in-line spinner around route 130 and N Park Dr, ending up at the Cooper River Dam. Throughout my walking/casting course, I had two bites and missed one fish (supposedly a type of Shad/Herring).

After a good hour or two of casting and no landed fish, I finally decided to hit the local pet store for a pack of nightcrawlers! I walked my way back to the intersection of route 130 and N Park Dr. and stopped by the golf course pond that was situated right next to the Cooper River, I ended up catching my smallest Largemouth Bass ever! The photo is in the section below. Heh.

After exploring the golf pond without much success, I finally decided to still-fish on the tidal side of the Cooper River Dam. As seen in the video, I finished my day there with three White Catfish and one White Perch. After that, I went to "The Pub" for a nice meal. :)

It should be noted that I saw a few Northern Snakehead (Channa argus) on the tidal side of the Cooper River Dam.

Photos:

Below are the photos for this fishing session:

A nice scenic view of the Cooper River in Camden, NJ.

A nice shot of the mysterious submerged house in the middle of the tidal Cooper River. A historical explanation to it is available in the video that was mentioned previously.

A view of the Cooper River Dam during high tide. When facing the dam, the right side of the dam is tidal and the left side is non-tidal. If you saw the Physics behind this dam in the video, then you should be familiar with the fact that there is little current on this side of the River during high tide. 

My smallest Largemouth Bass ever! It was caught on a size #26 hook with a sliver of nightcrawler.

A nice White Catfish sample from the tidal Cooper River. To differentiate White Catfish from Channel Catfish, always note the following: (1) the caudal fin is not symmetric (one side is bigger than the other); (2) the body of a White Catfish is divided between two shades -- gray in the upper body and white in the belly; and (3) the White Catfish always has a Bullhead head (the head is much bigger in proportion to its body).

My improvised setup for Catfish: split-shots, hook, and my book bag as rod holder. Heh.

A Great Blue Heron waiting for a meal at the Dam! 
Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment