June Fishing Sessions: 06/06 - Exploring and Fishing the Loch Alsh Reservoir (Upper Dublin, PA)

Hello, Blog Readers! 

After a good while, I am still about one month behind on the Blog work. Heh. Unfortunately, life has been quite hectic; thus, I haven't been having the necessary amount of time to spend on fishing and social media.

For now, these are the latest updates:

(1) I have uploaded a bunch of videos on my YouTube Channel (up to June 30th).

Those include the following:

-- Exploring and Fishing the Loch Alsh Reservoir in Upper Dublin, PA (the video for this post. Heh)
-- Multi-Species Fishing at Meadow Lake in South Philadelphia, PA

Additionally, the following videos were added under the "Things that you don't see when you stay at home" playlist:

-- Uncovering the Secrets of the FDR Park in South Philadelphia, PA

(2) I had a 1000 subscribers contest on YouTube, which ran from June 27th to July 10th. The prize for it was a Shimano Sedona and the winner will be announced on July 16th! For future contests/give-away, keep checking the YouTube Channel. The next Contest/Give-Away will be for 3000 Subscribers!  

(3) The Public Album on Facebook has been on fire! I have gotten many submissions and I am trying to keep all of them on track! If your photo hasn't been published yet, it will be published sooner or later. As an additional note, anyone can submit photos to the Public Album. For more details on rules of submission, you may click here.

Now, here is my fishing report for June 6th, 2015:

--- June 6th, 2015 ---

Location: Loch Alsh Reservoir (Upper Dublin, PA)
Time: 11:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.

Fishes Caught:

-- 1 Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides)
-- 1 Pumpkinseed (Lepomis gibbosus)

Video:

Below are the highlights for this fishing session:

The video is divided in three parts: (1) Introduction (0:00-2:00); (2) Setup (2:00-3:35); and (3) Fishing (3:35-6:40; 8:45-9:55). Additionally, the video also portrays a local who talks a little bit about the Reservoir and confirms that the Lake right next to it is private. Don't forget to watch it in HD quality (1080p50)! If you enjoy watching my videos, please support my YouTube Channel by liking and subscribing!

Goal:

The main goal for the day was to explore and fish the Loch Alsh Reservoir and the nameless Lake right next to it. Unfortunately, the nameless Lake turned out to be private; therefore, I was able to fish only the small Reservoir. 

Setup: 

The setup for this fishing session consisted of a single rod: an ultra-light Daiwa Spinmatic fishing rod with a Shimano Sedona 500FD reel. For line, I used 4lbs Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon. Throughout the course of the day, I used the following lures: a Thomas Fishing Lures E.P. Series in-line Spinner, 1/8 oz., nickel/gold; and a size #6 eagle claw hook with a piece of nightcrawler; and a size #4 eagle claw hook with a piece of cut-bait.

Summary:

After a couple hours of "forum hunting," googling, and article reading, I found out this small body of water in Ambler called the Loch Alsh Reservoir. From my readings, I was able to find out that the watershed is actually stocked with Rainbow Trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) during the Spring season and it also contains "Sunfish" and Largemouth Bass. Thus, I decided to go give it a try! 

After taking the Septa Regional Rail all the way to Ambler, I arrived at the Loch Alsh Reservoir around 11:00 a.m.. The place did not look very promising. It contained little to no cover. After fishing it for a good thirty minutes or so, I came to the conclusion that the place also contained little to no structure, not to mention that the whole place was overall shallow. 

I was able to circle the whole Reservoir in forty-minutes, constantly casting and retrieving. During this process, I was able to land a Largemouth Bass on a Thomas Fishing Lures E.P. Series in-line spinner, as well as a small Pumpkinseed on a small Eagle Claw size #6 hook and a piece of nightcrawler. The small Pumpkinseed were bedding at Lake Alsh; in other words, they were spawning. There were signs of Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus) and Common Carp (Cyprinus carpio) crossing the shallows as well; although, I wasn't able to catch any.

I finished the day by cutting up the Pumpkinseed and using it as bait for Catfish. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to obtain a single hit on it! The stocked Rainbow Trout were also non-existent in the Reservoir. My conclusion is that the place got fished out soon after the stocking.

Overall, I would recommend the Loch Alsh Reservoir only for Carp fishing.

Photos:

Below are the photos for this fishing session:

A healthy Largemouth Bass from the Loch Alsh Reservoir in Upper Dublin, PA. I was extremely happy to see this sample coming out of there! 

A small Pumpkinseed from the reservoir. As a matter of fact, all Sunfish from the Reservoir were in the range of 4 inches (perhaps a stunted population).

A scenic view of the Reservoir. Absolutely no cover or structure on the South portion of it.

The reservoir's "back up" system. In case of flooding, the water flows down through this path. Notice that the whole place was dry and the water level in the reservoir was very low (according to a local angler).  

A stagnating pool of water below the Reservoir. Of course I looked for signs of life in it; however, I was able to find only tadpoles. No fish! 

Best of luck to all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment