Winter Creek Fishing for Smaller Fishes (01/21/17, Yardley, PA)

What's up, fellow Blog readers?

Here is my fishing report for January 21st, 2017. The statistical fishing chart was updated as well.

Location: Buck Creek
Time: 12:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- 13 Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus)
-- 18 Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides)
-- 1 Bluegill X Pumpkinseed Hybrid (L. macrochirus X L. gibbosus)

Video:

Below are the highlights for this fishing session:

My 7th outing of 2017. Don't forget to watch it in HD quality (1080p60)! If you enjoy watching my videos, please support my YouTube Channel by subscribing to it. More likes and more subscribes = more time to make videos! :)

Summary & Photos:

A day before my trip to Fort Lauderdale, FL, I went out for a few hours of Multi-Species angling! Due to time constraints, I picked a close location with easy access: the Buck Creek in Yardley. :) Another cool thing about this particular fishing spot is that jigging works really well for it!

A view of the Buck Creek from the Delaware Canal in Yardley, PA.

I surely hope that you folks have realized already that I am very big when it comes to jigging. I love all different types of jigging -- vertical jigging, float-suspended jigging, bottom jigging, cast-and-jig, drop-shot jigging...you name it! And the best part of all this jigging business is that certain techniques work extremely well for the Winter season, particularly suspended jiggingTherefore, my initial setup for this fishing session was a weighted Comal cigar float with a 1/50 oz., 3 mm. Kenders ice fishing jig, tipped with small tail pieces of the Berkley 1" Gulp! Alive Minnow

I started casting towards the deep portion of the Creek, with 10-14 inches leader. On my second cast, our first victim surfaced from the depths of the Buck Creek:

Fish #115. A Bluegill.

After the first cast, it was truly a slay fest, folks! One bite for every two casts: no exaggeration. And for my surprise, after catching a few fishes here and there, I noticed that I was actually catching more Largemouth Bass than Bluegill for the day. The amount of stunted Largemouth Bass in that portion of the Creek was surreal. All of them were about this size:

Fish 121. A Largemouth Bass
 
Then, the day became even more puzzling than before. Among the Largemouth Bass, I started to notice that a few Bass here and there actually had a rough tooth patch on top of their tongues. Now, if you folks here are familiar with Bass anatomy and physiology, then you should know that the presence of such tooth patch on the fish's mouth could be an indication for the Spotted Bass (Micropterus punctulatus) Species.

A small & round tooth patch is on this Bass' mouth. Could this be an indication of Spotted Bass in the area?

There is definitely room for discussion here. :) So, if any of you want to send me your thoughts on this matter, feel free to inbox me on my Facebook Page. Until I am entirely sure myself, I will take those fish to be Largemouth Bass.

Anyways...the fishing session went on with lots of Bluegill and Largemouth Bass on the small pieces of Gulp! Minnow. In the afternoon, the bigger Bluegill started to show up:

Fish #132. A six inches Bluegill from the Buck Creek.

And among all those fishes, one exotic Hybrid decided to make its existence well known to us:

Fish #135. A Bluegill X Pumpkinseed Hybrid. The blue on the operculum indicates Bluegill. Red on the opercular flap indicates Pumpkinseed. Body shape and patterns match as well

In the end, I finished my short fishing session with three different Species of fish (not counting the possibly Spotted Bass). Not bad at all for a Winter day, right? Just after, I went home and started packing for my Florida trip.

Best of luck to all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights!

Tight lines!

Sincerely,

Leo S. a.k.a. Extreme Philly Fishing

0 comments:

Post a Comment