My First Skunk of 2017! Ugh! (01/11/17, Lindenwold/Philadelphia, NJ/PA)

What's up, fellow anglers?

Here is my fishing report for January 11th, 2017. The statistical fishing chart was updated as well.

Time: 10:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. / 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- Nothing

Video:

Since I got skunked, there is no video for this fishing session. :)

Summary & Photos: 

Taking the warmer Winter weather in consideration -- 40F min/50F max, I decided to hit one of my favorite winter holes for fishing: the Kirkwood Lake in Lindenwold, NJ. Since I always did well in that spot during the Winter, I was actually pretty confident that I was going to catch something today. Boy, was I wrong...

After arriving at the spot, I wasn't too surprised to see that the Lake itself was still covered in ice. I mean...the weather was great around noon (~45F), but one day of warmth just wasn't enough to thaw a whole watershed. Especially one of that size, and one without any current in it! 

A view of the Kirkwood Lake (main Lake section). Even with the short warm weather, still unfishable. 

Thus, as always, I was forced to fish the portion below the Lake. The locals usually refer to it as "the culvert." I like to call it "the pipe." Heh.

One of my old YouTube videos, where I introduce my viewers to the spot known as "The Pipe." Don't forget to watch it in HD quality (1080)! If you enjoy watching my videos, please support my YouTube Channel by subscribing to it. More likes and more subscribes = more time to make videos.

A view of "The Pipe;" January of 2017.

The fact is that I never really did bad at that spot. That is why I decided to return, and why  I was so confident that I was going to catch some fish. Every past fishing session there, I caught at least a few Bluegill (Lepomis macrochirus). Or a few Black Crappie (Pomoxis nigromaculatus). And sometimes an occasional Largemouth Bass (Micropterus salmoides). But not that day...That day, the water was crystal clear. Not only that, the water level was extremely low! Consequently, the water was really shallow (~2 feet deep)!   

So, you guys get the idea, right? Shallow and clear water during the Winter season = no fish. After spending two hours there without a single bite, I finally made my mind to hit another spot for the day.

I took the PATCO train back to Philadelphia. Hopped on Septa's Market-Frankford Line. Got off at the 30th street station. Ate some halal food for lunch and headed over to the Schuylkill River for some good old "whatever bites" type of fishing.

The "whatever bites" fishing style is often tricky. Here is a photo portraying how one should not fish on the Schuylkill River.

Needless to say, I was completely unprepared. I didn't have a net with me to land my fish from the Schuylkill River's brutal ten feet drop. I didn't have a rod holder for my single ultra-light rod, to keep it in place. And you guys just read it -- ultra-light: I had 4lbs KastKing fluorocarbon test line for whatever bit on it. Hah. 

Thankfully (or sadly), I didn't have to worry about any of that in the end! After all, after three brutal hours on the River, I ended my day without a single bite...A day full of promises, but not with fish!  

Best of luck to all of us! 

Long Days and Pleasant Nights!

Tight lines!

Sincerely,

Leo S. a.k.a. Extreme Philly Fishing 

0 comments:

Post a Comment