Season is open at the FDR Park - LMB and Snakeheads

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Updated:
http://extremephillyfishing.blogspot.com/2012/01/statistical-fishing-chart-for-2012.html

--> Added Data from Schuylkill River (03/03/12; 03/04/12; 03/10/12; 03/11/12;
03/18/12; 03/22/12), Audubon Lake (03/08/12), and FDR Park (03/24/12)
------------------------------

With two years of field experience at the FDR park, I can say that there are only two main secrets for a successful day at the Lakes: water temperature, and change of location.

During cold temperatures, the FDR park becomes miserable! The Sunfish will still be around, and big Black Crappies will still be available in low populations. With creature lures, or mid-water jerk baits, one may be able to hook a lunker, if lucky. The main fun of the Lakes, which consists of LMB and Snakeheads, become highly inactive. Even if the person covers the whole area, it's still likely to end the day skunked.

On the other hand, the Lakes at FDR become an awesome place when temperatures are high! The main action becomes top-water, and a good LMB or Snakehead may be swimming "just in front of you". All spots become potentially good, despite of depth or visibility. Walking around the Lakes and covering the most possible amount of water is the main technique to have a successful day.   

Due to the availability of my time, I wasn't able to go to the FDR Park (Franklin Delano Roosevelt) as often as I wished. I was able to go there yesterday - my first official fishing trip at the FDR this year. Mike, however, has been hitting the FDR constantly lately (I wonder how this guy is doing at college! Haha), and he was able to get a couple Snakehead shots for us!

Yes, they do exist! People have been bugging me for a Snakehead picture, hence lots of them don't really believe they are in the Lakes at FDR. Pictures of Mike's Snakeheads are below!

Please, let's not forget that the Northern Snakehead is an invasive Species in Philadelphia, PA. It's completely legal to catch-and-release, even though the Boat and Commission recommends fishermen to not release it. It's legal to harvest them, as FAR as they are dead. It's ILLEGAL to keep them alive in any conditions, and travel with them.

With this in mind, all the rest is fun! The pictures below are of Mike's last trips to the FDR, including a picture of my LMB from yesterday, caught at the main lake. Rob and Steve were there as well! They landed some nice sunnies, a LMB, and 2 Crappies. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get the pictures from them. If I do, I'll certainly add them in this post later.

Enjoy the pictures:


I do not recall how big this Bass was, but it looks like a fattie! (Reminds me of my friend Carrie, somehow...)

I do not recall WHO took this picture, but man...I have to admit that I'm with my eyes closed in 30% of my pictures. The LMB was caught on top water with a Jitterbug, 2lbs, 20 inches. 

Mike with his 2.04lbs LMB (also caught yesterday), caught on a fluke.


An old picture from a previous trip.

Finally, people will stop bugging about the Snakehead pictures at FDR! Once again: Yes, they do exist. They are aggressive, invasive, but a lovely Game fish! Mike was able to get all 3 of them in less than 40 minutes, all at one spot. Therefore, as I mentioned before: moving around at the FDR is a very smart move for a successful day.

Second one.

Third one. As I remember, one was 2lbs, and the other two topped 1.5lbs. Nice job, Mike! Keep it going!

I've always liked the fact that Mike sends me pictures all the time. My specialty in fishing is really still-fishing and float-fishing, while Mike's fishing is completely based on cast and retrieve. Therefore, I've always liked the fact that I can give away pictures of bottom feeders and other species that rely on natural baits while Mike can contribute with Species that are often caught on lures.

Overall, the season at the FDR is finally opened, and it's already being "overfished". Just from yesterday, I was able to see more than 10 fishermen fishing at the big Lake! That's quite outrageous...Hopefully people will learn to catch-and-release, and be a little bit more conscious about the sustainability of the waters around us. 

Best of luck for all of us!

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.
Follow my Facebook page for updates on every single one of my fishing sessions:
http://www.facebook.com/ExtremePhillyFishing
There are fishes around us! Follow my Statistical Chart for 2012 for my catches during this year:
http://extremephillyfishing.blogspot.com/2012/01/statistical-fishing-chart-for-2012.html
--------------------------------------------