March Fishing Sessions: 03/11 - Flathead Fishing at Kelly Drive

Hello, Blog Readers!

Today I'm bringing you fellas my report for March 11th:

--- March 11th, 2015 ---

Location: Non-tidal Schuylkill River (Kelly Drive)
Time: 1:00-5:00 p.m.

Fishes caught:

-- None

I went fishing on Kelly Drive (non-tidal Schuylkill River) with hopes of catching some nice Flathead Catfish (Pylodictis olivaris). The rain from the previous day made the River rage (up to 10k+ cfs); thus, it raised its water temperatures from high 30's to lower 40's. I set up three rods with cut American Eel (Anguilla rostrata). I used a traditional slip-sinker setup: 12-20lbs Fluorocarbon, 3oz. egg sinkers, medium sized snap swivels, nylawire leader and 5/0 circle hooks.

During the course of the day, I had 2 bites and 2 misses! The first bite was really good. It was a Flathead Catfish for sure! It pulled my drag all the way to the middle of the River, and my line had so much debris and trash on that it snapped. Recall that the river was muddy and the current was fast! I would estimate the fish to be in the range of 15-20lbs (although, I never even saw it). The second bite was a let down. I set the hook, felt the fish for 5 seconds, and then nothing...


A nice view of the non-tidal Schuylkill River at Kelly Drive. Unfortunately, this photo makes no justice, as the viewer is not able to see the water level difference or the speed of the current. Regardless, just keep in mind that the water level was much higher due to (1) the ice meltdown, (2) the water lowering of some watersheds that connect to the Schuylkill River, and (3) the rain on the previous day. 

Here's a nice addition to the "Things that you don't see when you stay at home" album: what seems to be a Lone Star Tick (Amblyomma americanum) walking on my hand. Thankfully, this little fella wasn't hungry. Therefore, it walked away happily.

When I posted about this fishing trip on my Facebook Page, a couple readers were reluctant on winter Flathead fishing. Readers -- do not underestimate fish! First, remember that fishes do not hibernate. As a matter of fact, plenty of different Species of fish can be caught through the ice during harsh winters. So, here's a little bit of information concerning Flathead Catfish during winter time:

-- Here is a nice article on Winter Flathead Fishing, down South. It was actually written by my friend's husband.

-- If you are more of a scholarly type, you may read this "PhD" equivalent dissertation on the diet behavior of Flathead Catfish (specially Chapter I). It portrays them in North Carolina, but there are parts that generalize the Species. Very informative and run to read. 

Spring is coming, fellas!

Best of luck for all of us,

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.

0 comments:

Post a Comment