Fishing the Wallworth Pond in New Jersey

--------------------------------------------
Follow my Facebook page for updates on every single one of my fishing sessions:
http://www.facebook.com/ExtremePhillyFishing
There are fishes around us! Follow my Statistical Chart for 2012 for my catches during this year:
http://extremephillyfishing.blogspot.com/2012/01/statistical-fishing-chart-for-2012.html
--------------------------------------------
------------------------------
Updated:
--> Added Data from Wallworth Pond
------------------------------

This Winter is certainly weird, isn't it? Despite the fact that the whole World is weird at the moment, and many natural incidents have happened around the World in the past couple months (i.e. floods in Thailand and Brazil, hurricane in Philippines, earthquake and hurricane passing by Philadelphia, etc), I still have to say: this Winter is extremely weird!

I remember how temperatures were far below 32F at this season during last year. Lakes and ponds were frozen solid, and even the mighty Schuylkill was completely solid. Good or bad, temperatures this year have allowed me to fish ponds more often in Winter time, including the Wallworth Pond in New Jersey.

I did two recent sessions in Wallworth Pond recently, finishing with 8.45lbs of fish on the first session, and 3.14lbs of fish on the second session. Note that the time of the sessions were very different too: I fished three more hours during the first session.

The fish consisted mainly of sunfish (Bluegills and Pumpkin Seeds), which means that I've fished quantity over weight lately. For my surprise, I landed my first Largemouth Bass on this pond, measuring 10 inches and 0.49lb! Not only that, I landed my first sucker of the year - measuring 11 inches and 0.41lbs, and my first Golden Shiner of the year - 6.5 inches, 0.15lbs. Although they are all small, I'm very satisfied to add them to the different number of species caught this year. After all, I'm more of a scientific fisherman than a challenging fisherman. In other words, I appreciate getting different species more than i appreciate fishing big fish.

In the first session, I finished the day with fifty-three Bluegill, six Pumpkin Seed, one Largemouth Bass, one White Sucker, and one Golden Shiner. On the second session, I finished the day with eighteen Bluegill, and five Pumpkin Seed. The data is below:

Session 1:

Bluegill --> 85.48387% (53 fish - 6.57lbs total)
Pumpkin Seed --> 9.67741% (6 fish - 0.83lbs total)
Largemouth Bass --> 1.61290% (1 fish - 0.49lbs total)
White Sucker --> 1.61290% (1 fish - 0.41lbs total)
Golden Shiner --> 1.61290% (1 fish - 0.15lbs total)

Session 2:

Bluegill --> 78.26086% (18 fish - 2.58lbs total)
Pumpkin Seed --> 21.73913% (5 fish - 0.66lbs total)

Note: they were caught mainly on waxworms and minnows during both sessions.

This means that the Bluegills are still the dominant species in the pond. Considering the water temperatures of both sessions (35F, 36F), and the clarity of the water (always muddy at the Wallworth Pond), these results do not surprise me. What surprised me the most was the fact that the Largemouth Bass bit on my minnow while I was still fishing for Crappies, and the fact that a Golden Shiner actually bit on my waxworm.

My assumptions are that the Largemouth Bass was really hungry, and the Golden Shiner population at the Pond is minimal. There have been presence of injured fish, meaning that there is "something" (a predatory species) in the pond attacking other species of fish. My goal next time will be to fish for that.

Below are pictures of my fishing sessions:
The biggest Sunfish I caught at the pond: 7 inches, 0.20lbs

My Largemouth Bass - 10 inches, 0.49lbs

My Golden Shiner - 6.5 inches, 0.15lbs. Note that they are actually awesome bait for Pike and Pickerel, which are species that are present in NJ, specially in the Cooper River.

I apologize for this picture. I forgot to take a picture of the White Sucker with my camera, so I took a picture of a picture (camera - phone). My White Sucker - 11 inches, 0.41lbs

One of the injured Sunfish from the Pond. The injury is this picture is seem only from one side, but the same injury is in the opposite side, meaning that I could actually pass a toothpick through that injury. Poor little guy.

My two rods at a portion of the Wallworth Pond. As always, I don't mind sharing spots. Just catch and release, if possible! Also, would someone really eat the fish out of this muddy pond? Seriously?

Again...this winter is extremely weird! Something just doesn't feel right. But anyways...best of luck for all of us!

Long Days and Pleasant Nights,

Sincerely,

Leo S.